Category Archives: Community

Calling All Single Men . . .

survey As most of you know, I’ve been working on a nonfiction book for single women for the past couple of years. It’s almost finished (yay!), and I’m currently working with an interested publisher (double yay!). While wrapping up the book, I decided it needs some input from single men. Because what single woman doesn’t wonder what single men are thinking, right? So, I created a survey and I need your help:

If you’re a single man, please take my survey! It can be totally anonymous and you can pick your own “book” name. You know you want to see your quotes in print!

If you’re a single woman, please forward this link and/or blog post to your single guy friends.

If you’re a married man but still remember your single days and want to share your perspective, please take my survey!

Here’s the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q3JDVTY

Thank you for helping make this book a success! I will be sharing more information about the book as soon as I can. As you know, there hasn’t been new content here at Anointed With Grace for some time. However, I have been writing at Zookeepers Ministries. You can check out my recent articles HERE.

Thank you for spreading the word about the survey. I can’t wait to add quotes from single men to the book!

(If you have any questions about the survey, please use the Contact tab at the top of the page or leave me a comment below.)

Gratefully,

allisonsign

2 Comments

Filed under Community, Singleness, Writing

Shine a Light on Slavery Day – April 9

endit_twitter_background_option1

Read more here:

END_IT_manifesto

allisonsign

Leave a comment

Filed under Change, Community, Faith, Missions, Nashville, Photos, Surviving the Dark Places, Who is God?

Joy in the Morning

I have many friends walking through difficult times right now . . .

Friends dealing with the loss of loved ones,

Friends grieving the end of relationships,

Friends walking through family crisis,

And this friend and her daughter fighting physical and spiritual battles.

These battles are very real. For all of us, the darkness can be quite dark at times.

Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning.
Psalm 30:5b (NLT)

I realize reading this Bible verse isn’t going to fix everything. God gave me this verse over and over during some dark nights. Honestly, it made me mad. I didn’t understand it. Because I woke up each morning expecting my joy (and sometimes, demanding my joy), and it wasn’t there.

God, why do you keep giving me this promise when I can’t find my way out of the darkness?

Looking back, I know that God’s definition of “night” is different than ours. His timing is not our timing. His ways are not our ways.

We don’t know how long our night will last. But friends, God is with us through the darkness and through the weeping.

And he will bring joy in the morning.

It’s a promise, and you can cling to it.

To my hurting friends . . . I know the pain is impossibly hard. I also know we serve the God who makes all things possible, the One who specializes in resurrections of hope. He sees each of your teardrops and keeps track of every single one. The Lord is our Light in the darkness.

Dear Lord, I pray for my hurting friends to cling to your light and your hope in their times of darkness. We know you have already won the battle. We will cling to you and wait for your joy. Amen.

Content Copyright 2012. Allison K. Flexer @ Anointed With Grace.
Photo: stock.xchng. Photo Design by Allison K. Flexer.

9 Comments

Filed under Community, Faith, Fear, Friendship, God, Surviving the Dark Places, Waiting, Who is God?

The Tradition of a Table

Growing up, I ate dinner with my family every night around the kitchen table—the same one that still sits in the kitchen of my parents’ house today. Each Sunday after church, we ate a home-cooked Sunday dinner at my grandparents’ house (dinner = lunch for any non-Southern readers out there). Our family of four plus my grandparents sitting around a long table passing around southern style vegetables and pot roast. I have wonderful memories of those meals and conversations.

As a single adult, I don’t often sit at the table to eat. Sometimes I do, but I’m usually accompanied by a book or a laptop. Occasionally, I have friends over for dinner but not as often as I should. This weekend was a great reminder of why I should make the effort more often.

We were celebrating the birthday of one of my best friends this weekend, so I invited my friend C and her younger sister over for supper at my house on Saturday night. I planned an entire menu—a home-cooked meal of crab cakes, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, romaine salad with mandarin oranges and blueberries, rolls and a pie for dessert. It was so much fun to prepare a meal for my friends!

The table in my dining room (shown above) belonged to my grandmother—the same table where my dad ate dinner growing up, where I ate countless Thanksgiving dinners as a child, and where my mom and dad awkwardly sat as a dating couple while my mom attempted to make an extra-large hamburger disappear into her nervous stomach. Before my friends came over on Saturday, I set my beloved table with care. I lit candles; I used the best plates, silverware and glasses. I wanted to create a special ambiance for them.

C’s younger sister, B, is a freshman in college. Now that I have a home of my own, it’s easy to forget those days of dorms and cafeteria food. B was so excited to enjoy a real meal at a real table. When she texted her friends back on campus to tell them everything about the meal, I realized that my simple dinner was a big deal to her.

And I remembered those days in college when I lived on Captain Crunch cereal and rice with soy sauce. I remembered those days when I could not even imagine cooking a meal for myself, much less inviting people over for dinner. When I saw how much it meant to B, I made a decision. I will not let that dining room table continue to remain empty 95% of the time.

I want to carry on the tradition of my grandmother’s dining room table—a table where you come as you are, where you will feel loved, where you will laugh and eat until you’re stuffed. A table where, if you don’t finish everything on your plate, someone will surely ask, “What’s wrong? Are you in love?”—just like my grandmother asked me every single time I left anything uneaten on my plate.

What were some of your childhood mealtime traditions?

10 Comments

Filed under Community, Family, Friendship, Nashville